Friday, January 30, 2009

Try to do something nice...

A few weeks ago in church there was a sign-up sheet passed around to donate blood. It was a Scout who was organizing this blood drive for his Eagle project. I try to give blood whenever I have the opportunity for two reasons: 1. I don't mind needles, in fact, I like to watch the process (weird but true), and 2. It is a much needed resource. If I was ever in a situation that me or someone in my family needed it, I would feel horrible if I had never taken the opportunity to donate. What goes around comes around, ya know? Karma, kismet, whatever you want to call it. There's my soapbox about donating blood.
Anyway, last night I went over to the church and went through the approval process. Which, on a side note, can I just say why do they have to know your exact weight? I mean, c'mon look at me, I weigh enough to give blood. You can see that. Aargh! Back to my story...I went in and laid down. Now, I have had problems in the past giving blood, my veins tend to run deep and my blood clots quickly and therefore doesn't flow quickly, sometimes even clotting in the tube. Also weird but true. After a little poking and wiggling, they finally got the needle in the vein and the blood started flowing. After a couple of minutes the phlebotomist(sp?) came over and started checking everything and wiggling the needle and stuff and then called over another lady phlebotomist to help her. So after more wiggling and moving of the needle, they decided I was not going to be able to contribute enough blood. Apparently it just wasn't going to work and they wouldn't be able to get enough blood out of me. So it was all in vain. They unhooked me, put the red wrapping on my arm and I grabbed my treat and left. Why do I blog about this, you ask? So that you will know what I now know: I will not bleed to death as quickly as someone else, very good to know, and that donating blood can leave a bruise. See photos, 'nuff said. By the way, I will try again.

1 comment:

Me said...

Wow, that looks painful! I am ver impressed with your willingness to go again after that experience!